2010-2015: PhD in Biochemical Engineering,
School of Life Science & Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology, China.
2008-2010: MS in Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering,
University of Development Alternative (UODA), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
2019/1-Present: Associate Professor, School of Chemical Engineering and Energy, Zhengzhou University, China
2015/9-2019/12, Postdoctoral Researcher & International Young Scientist, Guangzhou Institute of Energy Conversion, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China.
Development of Biofuel and High value chemicals from biomass
Dr. Alam establish and proposed a new innovative methodology for microalgae biomass harvesting from diluted medium without additional energy and chemical input which is known as environment friendly “Bioflocculation” method. He also discovered the mechanism of self-flocculation algae based bioflocculation and associated polysaccharide molecule which is responsible for the sedimentation of microalgae. The research on discover associated gene for the flocculation is ongoing with his supervision with National funding from NSFC. Dr. Alam is an editor of springer book titled “Microalgae Biotechnology for Development of Biofuel and Wastewater Treatment” and “Microalgae Biotechnology for Food, Health and High Value Products”. He has published 38 high impact SCI journal articles, 2 book, 5 book chapters in springer book. Dr. Alam filed severals international patents for his discovery/new of method on biofuel and high value chemicals development from biomass resources.
School of Chemical Engineering, Zhengzhou University
Research Area: Microalgae bioengineering for development of bioenergy and high value chemicals
Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=DDbqmUIAAAAJ&hl=en
Research gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Md_Asraful_Alam
Selected publications (up to 10):
- Md. Asraful Alam, Xu Jing-Liang, Zhongming Wang Editors, Microalgae Biotechnology for Food, Health and High Value Products (2019) Springer Nature Pte Ltd, ISBN 978-981-15-0169-2.
- Md. Asraful Alam, Zhongming Wang, Microalgae Biotechnology for Development of Biofuel and Wastewater Treatment, (2019) Springer Nature Pte Ltd, 465 pages ISBN: 978-981-13-2263-1.
- Md. Asraful Alam, Tao Yuan, Xiong Wenlong, Beixiao Zhang, Yongkun Lv, Jingliang Xu. Process Optimization for the Production of High-Concentration Ethanol with Scenedesmus raciborskii Biomass. Bioresource technology, 122219 (2019).
- Md. Asraful Alam, Wu Jinchang, Jingliang Xu, Zhongming Wang. Enhanced isolation of lipids from microalgal biomass with high water content for biodiesel production. Bioresource Technology, 291, 121834. (2019).
- Weidong Lu, Md. Asraful Alam*, Wenshi Luo, Eylem Asmatulu. Integrating Spirulina platensis cultivation and aerobic composting exhaust for carbon mitigation and biomass production. Bioresource Technology, 271: 59-65 (2019). (*Corresponding author).
- Md. Asraful Alam*, Dries Vandamme, Zhongming Wang, Wan Chun, Xinqing Zhao, Koenraad Muylaert. Bioflocculation as an innovative harvesting strategy for microalgae. Reviews in Environmental Science and Bio/Technology, 573–583 (2016). (*Corresponding author).
- Ying Pan, Md. Asraful Alam, Zhongming Wang, Dalong Huang, Keqin Hua, Hongxuan Chen, Zhenhong Yuan. One-step production of biodiesel from wet and unbroken microalgae biomass using deep eutectic solvent. Bioresource Technology 217: 157-163 (2017).
- Weidong Lu, Md Asraful Alam, Ying Pan, Wu Jinchang, Zhongming Wang, Zhenhong Yuan, A new approach of microalgal biomass pretreatment using deep eutectic solvents for enhanced lipid recovery for biodiesel production, Bioresource Technology, 123-128 (2016).
- Weizheng Zhou, Zhongming Wang, Md. Asraful Alam, Jingliang Xu, Shunni Zhu, Ying Guo, Lei Qin, Longlong Ma. Repeated Utilization of Ionic Liquid to Extract Lipid from Algal Biomass. International Journal of Polymer Science, 1-7 (2019).
- Md. Asraful Alam, Chun Wan, Xinqing. Zhao, Lijie Chen, Jo-Shu Chang, Feng-Wu Bai, Enhanced removal of Zn2+ or Cd2+ by the self-flocculating microalga Chlorella vulgaris JSC-7, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 298: 38-45 (2015).