2018: Ph.D. in Biochemistry Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, 07745 Jena, Germany.
2013: M.Sc. in Nematology, Dept. Molecular Biotechnology and Dept. Biology, Ghent University, Belgium.
2010: M.Sc. in Plant Pathology, Dept. Plant Pathology, Bangladesh Agricultural University.
2009: B.Sc. in Agriculture, Faculty of Agriculture, Bangladesh Agricultural University.
Jul 2018. Award: ASPB Travel Grant Award
Oct 2016 to Sept 2018, Scholarship: Max Planck Society for Doctoral Research
Jul 2015, Award: "Best Poster Award" at the ISCE Conference 2015 in Stockholm, organized by International Society of Chemical Ecology
Oct 2013 to Sept 2016, Scholarship: JSMC Fellowship for Doctoral Research
Aug 2013, Award: Gold Medal Award (given by Education Minister, Bangladesh)
Sep 2011, Scholarship: VLIR-UOS Master's Scholarship
Mar 2011, Award: University Gold Medal Award (given by Honorable President of Bangladesh)
Jul 2009, Scholarship: National Science and Information and Communication Technology (NSICT) Fellowship
Plants and pathogens have been battling each other for millennia, but we still know little about what determines the outcome of these encounters. My research interests have been focused on plant-pathogen interactions especially chemical defenses in the woody host against fungal infections, phytohormone signaling, and regulation of such defense reactions. I use a range of biochemical and molecular techniques to understand the defense mechanism of the woody host. Another important aspect of my research is to understand more about the interaction between poplar and its fungal pathogens to determine other, molecular strategies used by the tree in its defense and investigate how the pathogen can evade the tree defense.
6. Hammerbacher, A., Kandasamy, D., Ullah, C., Schmidt, A., Wright, L., Gershenzon, J. (2019). Flavanone-3-hydroxylase plays an important role in the biosynthesis of spruce phenolic defenses against bark beetles and their fungal associates. 10: 208. doi:10.3389/fpls.2019.00208. [GER539] (pdf docx).
5. Ullah, C., Tsai, C., Unsicker, S., Xue, L., Reichelt, M., Gershenzon, J., Hammerbacher, A. (2019). Salicylic acid activates poplar defense against the biotrophic rust fungus Melampsora larici-populina via increased biosynthesis of catechin and proanthocyanidins. 221(2), 960-975. doi:10.1111/nph.15396. [GER519] (pdf pdf)
4. Luu, V. T., Weinhold, A., Ullah, C., Dressel, S., Schoettner, M., Gase, K., Gaquerel, E., Xu, S., Baldwin, I. T. (2017). O-acyl sugars protect a wild tobacco from both native fungal pathogens and a specialist herbivore. , 174, 370-386. doi:10.1104/pp.16.01904. (pdf pdf).
3. Ullah, C., Unsicker, S., Fellenberg, C., Constabel, C. P., Schmidt, A., Gershenzon, J., Hammerbacher, A. (2017). Flavan-3-ols are an effective chemical defense against rust infection. , 175(4), 1560-1578. doi:10.1104/pp.17.00842. (pdf)
1. Ji, H., Gheysen, G., Ullah, C., Verbeek, R., Shang, C., De Vleesschauwer, D., Höfte, M., Kyndt, T. (2015). The role of thionins in rice defense against root pathogens. , 16(8), 870-881. doi:10.1111/mpp.12246.