Doctor of Science (DSc), Natural Science (Biology-Higher Fungi Taxonomy), June 2014
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), Beijing, China.
Masters of Science (MSc), Plant Pathology, December 2007
Department of Plant Pathology, Faculty of Agriculture, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh.
Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (BScAg), Agriculture, June 2004 (held in July 2006)
Faculty of Agriculture, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh
• Associate Professor (Researcher): Guangdong Institute of Microbiology, Guangdong Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. July, 2019 to now.
• Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Guangdong Academy of Sciences (Guangdong Institute of Microbiology), Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. November, 2016 to January, 2019.
• Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Guangdong Institute of Microbiology, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. December, 2014 to November, 2016.
• Assistant Teacher (Agriculture): BAF Shaheen College Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh, August 2009 to September 2010.
Systematics of Basidiomycota (taxonomy and molecular phylogeny)
Dr. Md. Iqbal Hosen is one of the pioneer mycologists in Bangladesh regarding systematics study of Basidiomycetes fungi from that country. As a result, he has discovered several noteworthy and very interesting fungi including a new genus (Borofutus) and new species (Borofutus dhakanus, Phylloporus attenuatus, Phylloporus catenulatus, Phylloporus gajari, etc.) of Boletaceae and Amanitaceae (Amanita cinereovelata, Limacella bangladeshana, etc.) for the first time from tropical Bangladesh. Partial results have been published in mycological journals such as Fungal Diversity, Mycologia, MycoKeys, Mycological Progress, Mycoscience, Mycotaxon, Phytotaxa, etc.
His research interest is primarily focused on the taxonomy, systematics and molecular phylogeny of the two major fungal families- Amanitaceae and Boletaceae. Over the last 8 years, besides working on the major two groups of fungi, he has also focused on several other genera of fungi such as Xanthagaricus, Pluteus, Tricholomopsis, etc. He has published over 30 articles (26 SCI) including 24 as the first author, of which 20 articles are SCI. Dr. Hosen is very passionate about science and received several awards for his academic excellence from University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), Beijing, China.
Articles in refereed journals (2009-2018)
1. Hosen MI*, Zhong XJ, Gates G, Orihara T and Li TH. 2019. Type studies of Rossbeevera bispora, and a new species of Rossbeevera from south China. MycoKeys 51: 15–28.
2. Hosen MI*, Liang XS, Xu J, LI T. H. 2019. Pluteus squarrosus sp. nov. (Pluteus sect. Celluloderma, Pluteaceae) from northeast China. Nordic Journal of Botany 37(8): 1–7. https://doi.org/ 10.1111/njb.02427
1. Hosen MI*, Mehmood T, Das K, Kudzma LV and Bhatt RP. 2018. Amanita tullossiana, a new species and two new records of Amanita section Lepidella from north-western Himalaya, India. MycoKeys 37: 73–92.
2. Hosen MI, Song ZP, Gates G and Li TH. 2018. Xanthagaricus caeruleus, a new species with ink-blue lamellae from southeast China. Mycoscience 59: 188–192.
3. Hosen MI*, Xu J, Liang XS, Li TH. 2018. Pluteus umbrosoides and P. chrysaegis, new records from China. Mycotaxon 133: 559–568.
4. Hosen MI*, Liang XS, Li JP, Xu J, Li TH. 2018. Pluteus losulus, a new record from south China. Mycotaxon 133: 711–719.
5. Hosen MI*, Zhong XJ, Li T, Zhang M, Li TH. 2018. Exploration of boletes from Xiangtoushan National Nature Reserve, Guangdong Province, China. Open Access Journal of Mycology & Mycological Sciences 1(1): 000101.
6. Mehmood T, Das K, Hosen MI, Bhatt RP, Uniyal P and Singh U. 2018. Two new species of Amanita (Amanitaceae) from North-western Himalaya, India. Phytotaxa 367: 219–232.
1. Hosen MI* and Li TH. 2017. Two new species of Phylloporus from Bangladesh with morphological and molecular evidence. Mycologia 109: 277–286.
2. Hosen MI*, Song ZP, Samantha KC, Gates G, Chowdhury MSM and Li TH. 2017. Two new species of Xanthagaricus and some notes on Heinemannomyces from Asia. MycoKeys 28: 1–18.
3. Hosen MI* and Li TH 2017. The first report of Limacella, with a new species description from Bangladesh. Phytotaxa 332: 280–286.
4. Tibpromma S, Hyde KD, Jeewon R, Maharachchikumbura SS, Liu JK, Bhat DJ………...Hosen MI…..et al…….2017. Fungal diversity notes 491–602: taxonomic and phylogenetic contributions to fungal taxa. Fungal Diversity 83: 1–261.
1. Hosen MI*, Li TH, Lodge DJ and Rockefeller A. 2016. The first ITS phylogeny of the genus Cantharocybe with a new record of C. virosa from Bangladesh. MycoKeys 14: 37–50.
2. Hosen MI, Li TH, Li T, Zhong XJ and Chen Y. 2016. Tricholoma sinoacerbum, a bitter species from Guangdong Province of China. Mycoscience 57: 233–238.
3. Hosen MI*, Li TH, Aminuzzaman FM and Islam MR. 2016. Hygrocybe umbilicata sp. nov., with first generic report for Bangladesh and its phylogenetic placement. Phytotaxa 280: 70–76.
4. Hosen MI*, Li TH, Ge ZW and Vellinga EC. 2016. Lepiota bengalensis, a new species of Lepiota section Lilaceae from Bangladesh. Sydowia 68: 187–192.
5. Hosen MI*, Li TH, Chen XN and Deng WQ. 2016. Lactocollybia subvariicystis, a new species of little-known genus Lactocollybia from subtropical south China. Mycosphere 7: 794–800.
6. Deng WQ, Li TH, and Hosen MI. 2016. Amanita rufobrunnescens, a new species of Amanita section Amidella from South China. Phytotaxa 243: 147–154.
1. Hosen MI*, Li TH, Wang WQ. 2015. Amanita cinereovelata, a new species of Amanita section Lepidella from Bangladesh. Mycological Progress. 14: 35.
2. Hosen MI and Li TH. 2015. Phylloporus gajari, a new species of the family Boletaceae from Bangladesh. Mycoscience 56: 584–589.
1. Wu G, Feng B, Xu J, Zhu XT, Li YC, Zeng NK, Hosen MI and Yang ZL. 2014. Molecular phylogenetic analyses re-define seven major clades and reveal 22 new generic clades in the fungal family Boletaceae. Fungal Diversity 69: 93–115.
1. Hosen MI, Feng B, Wu G, Zhu XT, Li YC and Yang ZL. 2013. Borofutus, a new genus of Boletaceae from tropical Asia: phylogeny, morphology and taxonomy. Fungal Diversity 58: 215–226.
2. Hosen MI* and Yang ZL 2013. Coniolepiota spongodes (Agaricaceae, Basidiomycota) in Bangladesh and China. Mycotaxon 124: 341–347.
1. Feng B, Xu J, Wu G, Hosen MI, Zeng NK, Li YC, Tolgor B, Kost GW and Yang ZL. 2012. DNA sequence analyses reveal abundant diversity, endemism and evidence for Asian origin of the porcini mushrooms. PLoS ONE 7: e37567.
1. Hosen MI* and Ge ZW. 2011. Clarkeinda trachodes (Agaricales, Basidiomycetes), first record from Bangladesh. Mycotaxon 118: 331–336.
2. Hosen MI*. 2011. Cultural, physiological comparison and fungicidal sensitivity between two isolates of Botrytis cinerea and Stemphylium botryosum. Emirates Journal of Food and Agriculture 23: 120–129.
1. Hosen MI*, Ahmed AU and Islam MR. 2010. Physiological variability and in vitro antifungal activity against Botrytis cinerea causing botrytis gray mold in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research 8: 750–756.
2. Hosen MI*, Ahmed AU and Islam MR. 2010. Variability in Bangladeshi isolates of Botrytis cinerea causing botrytis gray mold in chickpea (Cicer arietinum). Plant Pathology Journal 9: 129–134.
3. Rahman T, Ahmed AU, Islam MR and Hosen MI*. 2010. Physiological study and both in vitro and in vivo antifungal activities against Stemphylium botryosum causing stemphylium blight disease in lentil (Lens culinaris). Plant Pathology Journal 9: 179–187.
30. Hosen MI*, Ahmed AU, Zaman J, Ghosh S, and Hossain KMK. 2009. Cultural and physiological variation between isolates of Stemphylium botryosum the causal of stemphylium blight disease of lentil (Lens culinaris). World Journal of Agricultural Sciences 5: 94–98.